1/1 Photo of Jo Mama's Chili
This is the chili my family has been enjoying for years. I make it so it isn't too spicy for the kids, but feel free to kick it up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I give them a short whirl in the food processor to break them up more)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1Saute onion in oil until nearly translucent; add ground beef and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- 2Add seasonings and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Add tomato sauce, catsup, tomatoes, water and kidney beans. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for at least a half hour, adding additional water if necessary.
- 4Serve with onions, jalapenos, cheese, and sour cream.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jo Mama's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.9
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 970.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 27.4 g