Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the chili my family has been enjoying for years. I make it so it isn't too spicy for the kids, but feel free to kick it up.
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons dark chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I give them a short whirl in the food processor to break them up more)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- chopped onion
- chopped fresh jalapeno
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Saute onion in oil until nearly translucent; add ground beef and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add seasonings and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato sauce, catsup, tomatoes, water and kidney beans. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for at least a half hour, adding additional water if necessary.
- Serve with onions, jalapenos, cheese, and sour cream.
Love this recipe! It's fast and easy! My 2 year old Daughter says, Mommy it's spicy... I like it!" It has great flavor and isn't too spicy for the little mouths.
Wondeful! I used half the amount of chili powder and left out the pepper flakes 'cause we don't like it too hot. I also left out the beans 'cause DH doesn't like them. I have been looking for a chili recipe we can all agree on and this is it. We all loved it and I didn't even add any extras. I was very tempted to empty my spice pantry into the pot but I resisted until I took a taste and realized it really didn't need anything. Thanks for posting. I'll be making this again.
I wasn't sure of this recipe as it had no garlic and I have never added catsup to my chili. I am not dissapointed! I will use this recipe again.