Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hearty and delicious. My family's favorite stew for over 30 years. If you prefer, you can substitute basil for the rosemary--I fix it both ways. Update: When I originally made this recipe, I would coat the beef pieces with a flour/salt/pepper mix by shaking them in a bag and then brown them in a couple tablespoons of oil. I eliminated this step to simplify and lower the calories and fat, but if you do it that way it makes for a thicker sauce. Good either way!
- Shake stew meat up in a bag with flour to cover.
- Brown in vegetable oil in stew pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or more. (I like to simmer until the beef is nice and tender).
- Add remaining ingredients and add additional water to cover.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are done, about 15 minutes.
Very good, the basil blended in very nicely to give the end product a great taste. I did thicken the broth with some cornstarch. I fixed it in the crockpot, 2 hours on high & 6 on low.
Great stew Sharlene! A good recipe that is simple and hearty. We ate it over rice & it was wonderful.
Yummy! A little salty but good.