Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe that I got from my friend Jo Ann. It's good as a round layer cake with (healthy) icing or warm as a slab cake with a mound of whipped cream on each serving. (Note: After receiving a mediocre review, I have changed the recipe to use light spelt flour rather than regular. You should not have a problem with light spelt flour.)
- 1⁄2 cup carob powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups light spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together carob and water; set aside.
- Cream sugar and oil. Add eggs and beat well. Add carob mixture.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add alternately with yogurt. Add vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9x12 or two 8-inch round pans. Bake at 350ºF for 20-30 minutes.
Sorry not to give this a great review. I made it for my son's birthday cake, and it didn't rise at all. It also was a bit lacking in flavour. I bake almost exclusively with spelt flour, and this didn't measure up to my expectations. I ended up baking a second cake for his party instead.