Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 mins
These really should be "Daphne's Sugar Cookies" or "J. Curtis's Sugar Cookies" because I got the recipe from Daphne who got it from J. Curtis. :) But I'm calling them Jmelyn's to differentiate from "Jason't Sugar Cookies" that I've also posted. These cookies are, in my opinion, just fabulous. Tips from Daphne: use shiny aluminum pans, and Parkay margarine. Personally, I use real butter, parchment lined cookie sheets and a convection oven. Enjoy! Oh--you can add a couple of drops of food coloring to the icing to get your desired color (pink is pretty), and there's no reason not to sugar them AND frost them. :)
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs, oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda and mix all together well.
- Roll into balls.
- Cam be rolled in sugar or left plain and frosted.
- Will flatten by themselves.
- Bake for 11 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Frosting: Cream together cream cheese and margarine.
- Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla until the mixture gets"frosting-like".