For World Tour 3, The Jivin Jelly Rollers have come up with a fantastic salad recipe. We have paired spicy Jerk seasoned grilled shrimp with sweet pineaple and black beans and topped it off with a cool coconut lime dressing. This salad will knock your socks off and have you dancing to the Carribean beat in no time. This recipe uses http://www.recipezaar.com/95953 for the Jerk Seasoning. Note: you may substitute Light Coconut milk or use this substitution if you can't find coconut milk. 1 cup low-fat milk + 1/4 tsp coconut extract = 1 cup light coconut milk. Also we think this salad would also be great with chicken instead of shrimp.
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (or lite substitute listed above)
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rum (or 1 t rum extract)
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb large shrimp (shelled and deveined and tails off)
- 2 -3 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning (recipe listed above)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks (drained and juice reserved)
- 1 large sweet pepper (cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 4 scallions (cut into 1 inch pieces, green tops disgarded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 8 cups lettuce (shredded)
- metal skewers or bamboo skewer, soaked in water
- Make http://www.recipezaar.com/95953.
- Set aside.
- **Just a note of caution. When cutting hot peppers use gloves. Do not touch fingers to mouth or eyes.
- Place shrimp in a zip top bag. Add 2 to 3 T. of jerk seasoning and alow to marinate at least 30 minutes
- Meanwhile make dressing, by mixing all dressing ingredients and put in fridge to let flavors marry. (Pineapple juice is from the reserved juice for the salad).
- Place 2 cups lettuce in each of four plates.
- Divide black beans equally among plates and put in fridge.
- Heat grill to med high.
- Skewer pineapple, green peppers and onion equally among 4 skewers.
- Skewer shrimp equally among 4 skewers.
- Place pineapple skewers on grill about 5 mins before shrimp. These will take about 5 mins per side.
- Place shrimp skewers on grill and grill 3 to 4 mins per side, or until opaque.
- Layer one skewer of shrimp and one skewer of pineapple and vegetables on lettuce and beans, top with dressing and enjoy.