Recipe by MsSally
For World Tour 3, The Jivin Jelly Rollers have come up with a fantastic salad recipe. We have paired spicy Jerk seasoned grilled shrimp with sweet pineaple and black beans and topped it off with a cool coconut lime dressing. This salad will knock your socks off and have you dancing to the Carribean beat in no time. This recipe uses http://www.recipezaar.com/95953 for the Jerk Seasoning. Note: you may substitute Light Coconut milk or use this substitution if you can't find coconut milk. 1 cup low-fat milk + 1/4 tsp coconut extract = 1 cup light coconut milk. Also we think this salad would also be great with chicken instead of shrimp.
Top Review by ChefDarlingNikki
Wow! This was amazing!!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe, it will be filed in my "All Time Favorites" file. I figured the Weight Watchers points as 14 pts for 2 servings (7 pts for 4 servings). The only changes I did was, I used three garlic cloves, used lite coconut milk and used a liquid jerk marinade. Thanks MsSally! This one is a winner!
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (or lite substitute listed above)
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rum (or 1 t rum extract)
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb large shrimp (shelled and deveined and tails off)
- 2 -3 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning (recipe listed above)
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks (drained and juice reserved)
- 1 large sweet pepper (cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 4 scallions (cut into 1 inch pieces, green tops disgarded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 8 cups lettuce (shredded)
- metal skewers or bamboo skewer, soaked in water
Directions See How It's Made
- Make http://www.recipezaar.com/95953.
- Set aside.
- **Just a note of caution. When cutting hot peppers use gloves. Do not touch fingers to mouth or eyes.
- Place shrimp in a zip top bag. Add 2 to 3 T. of jerk seasoning and alow to marinate at least 30 minutes
- Meanwhile make dressing, by mixing all dressing ingredients and put in fridge to let flavors marry. (Pineapple juice is from the reserved juice for the salad).
- Place 2 cups lettuce in each of four plates.
- Divide black beans equally among plates and put in fridge.
- Heat grill to med high.
- Skewer pineapple, green peppers and onion equally among 4 skewers.
- Skewer shrimp equally among 4 skewers.
- Place pineapple skewers on grill about 5 mins before shrimp. These will take about 5 mins per side.
- Place shrimp skewers on grill and grill 3 to 4 mins per side, or until opaque.
- Layer one skewer of shrimp and one skewer of pineapple and vegetables on lettuce and beans, top with dressing and enjoy.