Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Emeril's Delmonico cookbook.
Make and share this Jitterbug's Stewed Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, with skin rinsed and patted dry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 2 teaspoons chicken base (such as Legout or Better than Boiullion)
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken in batches and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on the first side, and 1 to 2 minutes on the second side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the fat remaining in the pan and cook, sitrring , until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to make a light roux, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, slowly stir in the stock. Add the Kitchen Bouquet and the chicken base and stir well. Return the chicken to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Remove from the heat and cover. Carefully transfer the pot to the oven and bake until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the chicken to 4 large plates and spoon the rice along the side. Spoon the gravy over the chicken and the rice, as desired, and serve immediately.
This turned out very well. The only changes I made were to add a few sliced mushrooms, about 1/4 cup chopped parsley, and for some added spice to my plate a few shakes of Tony Chachere's seasoning. (1)