Prep 12 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Easter Bread my grandpa made every year for Easter. It freezes quite well. Great sliced and toasted with butter.
- 1 quart egg (extra large eggs are approx. 2 oz. each)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon anise extract
- 3⁄4 lb softened butter, very soft to melted but not hot
- 1 1⁄2 ounces active dry yeast (standard packets are 1/4 oz)
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 5 lbs flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups instant potato flakes
- 2 ounces anise seed
- 2 lbs raisins
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine next 3 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Put them together, knead the bugger out of it (about 20 minutes).
- Let it rest, and go rest yerself. Let it double in a warm place.
- Add the raisins. Knead a little, mixing in the raisins, then shape into loaves. (The full recipe makes 8 large or 16 small braided loaves).
- Let the loaves rise, covered, until doubled.
- Bake at 325F for 30 minutes.