Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful festive salad recipe from Penzey's spice catalog. The cranberries and dressing can be done up to 2 days in advance so assembly is a snap.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 heads boston lettuce, washed & torn
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread cranberries evenly in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle sugar evenly over them. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until needed (can be done ahead, up to 2 days).
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, vinegar, mustard powder, poppy seeds, salt, pepper, and orange juice. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Use immediately, or refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Toss lettuce & oranges with dressing so that they are lightly coated. Arrange on chilled salad plates. Garnish generously with the candied cranberries.
A beautiful salad! We liked the salad dressing and mandarin orange/ lettuce combination very much. For the cranberries I lined the cooking sheet with foil making sure I had a ridge around the edge but the foil was difficult to remove from the caramelized cranberries. The cranberries were getting very dark after 45 minutes so I removed them from the oven. Subbed red wine vinegar for the cider vinegar and omitted the poppy seeds. Congratulations appleydapply for becoming a FROG in Top Favorites of 2008 Game!
A deliciously refreshing and flavoursome salad: a great blend of flavours. I halved the recipe but next time I make it I shall be making the full quantity - and enjoying some for take-to-work lunches! Loved the dressing! My only change was to use olive oil rather than vegetable oil (personal taste preference). Thank you for sharing this recipe, appleydapply. It would be an excellent complement both to BBQd meats and pasta or rice dishes. I'm really looking forward to serving it to guests! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
I love the dressing on this salad! The oranges and tender lettuce really go well with the dressing When I was making the cranberries they kind of "melted" together. But they were tasty and sweet! I will make this again!