Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another one of those recipes from an old Food BBS from the early 90's. It was posted by someone named Sandee. I have no idea who Jim is (or was)!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, firmly packed
- 2 whole green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces (or more, to taste)
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 1 jalapeno pepper, roasted and seeded (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cumin in work bowl of food processor with metal blade and process for 2 seconds. Move dry ingredients to another bowl.
- Process cilantro and green onion for 5 seconds. Add tomatoes and tomato paste (and jalapeno if wanted) and process until tomatoes are pureed, about 10 seconds. Add sugar and process for 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs and process for 1 minute, or until mixture becomes fluffy. Return dry ingredients to processor and combine by turning machine on and off 4 to 5 times until mixture is just incorporated.
- Pour mixture into greased and floured 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan. Spread the mixture evenly and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until browned. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes and turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
Easy and very good and the boys were scarfing it, down..
This was good, but tasted a little strange to me. I didn't care for the sweet, spicy and savory combination of flavors. I cut back the sugar to a half cup and it still seemed too sweet to me. Now I know this combo just isn't my thing. It baked up beautifully though and it was a fun recipe to make. Thanks for posting.
This is ridiculously good. RIDICULOUSLY good!!! I ate three giant pieces of it before it even cooled down. Make it. Make it now!