Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a soup that my sweetie pie made for me - it is just so light and crisp - has a sweet side and little bite too!
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup carrot (julienned)
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher, adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 1 cup wine (white)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot (fresh grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (fresh minced)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups shrimp (raw, deveined and peeled)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut (shredded fine)
- 1⁄2 cup corn (canned)
- 1⁄4 lb snow peas (approx 1 cup fresh, do not use frozen)
- Over medium high heat add olive oil to a large pot - add onions, salt, pepper, carrots and garlic, sauté till onions are clear.
- Add clam juice, white wine, chicken stock, ginger, cilantro and soy sauce cook for 4 minutes.
- Add fresh shrimp, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, corn and pea pods, cook till shrimp turns nice and pink approximately 6 minutes - add coconut and serve immediately.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin Kaboodles! I made this soup for a family dinner & it was a huge hit. I doubled the recipe & half had chilli in & half didn't (little kids were eating with us!). I will definitely make this again as it is delicious & not like your regular prawn soups :)
Very, very different, but I gotta admit ~ I really enjoyed the taste! I've never had soup that included coconut [or shrimp, for that matter!], but this was a great, new sensation for me & my partner! Just hope the party goers enjoyed it as much, 'cause this was made for a party of 5 in the Potluck Game! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for a Soup Party in Potluck Tag Game
I excluded the coconut and added cayenne pepper for a little kick. I am making it again, but this time with shredded crab instead of shrimp...that way the soup stay son my spoon better! GREAT FLAVOR!