Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An Italian flavored meatloaf, layered like lasagne
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, italian seasoned
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 16 ounces spaghetti sauce (I use Prego)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut in 1" strips
- In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients (preferably by hand).
- In a baking dish 9"x5"x2", layer 1/2 of the mixture.
- Put 1/2 of the Mozzarella cheese and all the mushrooms on top of this layer, and 1/2 of the sauce.
- Put the other 1/2 of the meat mixture on top of this and then cover with the remaining sauce and Mozzarella.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- At the last 5 minutes or so, place the Provolone cheese on top.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to settle and cool.
Just tried it, the only change I made is I left out the mushrooms because i am alergic to them, but it was the best meatloaf I have ever had. Thanks my name is Jim
I made this recipe a while ago, but never rated it. It was absolutely delicious and not diffifult at all to make. The only thing I did differently was to make my own marinara. I will be making this again soon!! Thanks so much
Yummy and very easy, especially since the mushrooms do not need to be cooked first. Called it "pizza meat loaf" and the kids gobbled it down. Used Italian Bread Crumbs Italian Bread Crumbs and baked in a loaf pan slightly larger than 9x5; though the raw meat loaf filled it to the top, no spills while cooking. Poured off the fat and liquid before serving. Would be wonderful with turkey Italian sausage, too. Thanks, Jim, for sharing the recipe!