Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is my brother in law's famous seafood gumbo. My kids gobble it up! Jim owns a restaurant in Virginia and makes this on family gatherings at the beach. He always uses fresh ingredients but it's almost as good using frozen. We like it HOT so adjust your seasonings. Serve over rice.
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled
- 6 ounces frozen crab
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ham hock
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 10 ounces frozen okra
- 1 pint oyster, shucked and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons file powder
- Thaw shrimp and crab if not using fresh.
- In large saucepan, combine flour and oil.
- Cook at medium low heat stirring for 30-40 minutes until dark red-brown.
- Add onions, peppers, celery, broth, ham hock, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, parsley, worcestershire sauce, pickapeppa, oregano, bay leaves, paprika, garlic powder and Tabasco.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove ham hock, cut off meat.
- Chop meat and return to pan.
- Skim off any fat.
- Add oysters, shrimp and crab.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Add okra, cook 5 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add file powder.