Recipe by Mika G.
This is a rich, wonderful mushroom sauce my husband found. He made a steak dinner for me (and the kids) so I could enjoy watching the Oscars. This was my favorite part of the dinner! It's fantastic!
Top Review by TheSnakebite
This was easy to make and very nice :-). Definately worth trying to see if you like it. I kept to the recipe but intend to play with it to make it even better! I used a homemade beef stock so didn't add any further herbs etc except the Parsley at the end. I think other reviewed mentioned the addition of Onions which sounds a common-sense option, plus the usual Garlic. It is a great sauce to make your own and put your own touches to it. I have modified this to fit Pork (white wine & chicken stock) and that has worked well. Give it a go!
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms in butter and oil for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add red wine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer to reduce a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and cold water and whisk until smooth. Stir into the mushrooms until well blended.
- Season to taste and simmer for about 1 minute, until thickened. If too thick, add a bit more broth.
- Add parsley.