Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
We can't get good dill pickles here; they all have sugar in the brine to suit the Thai taste buds. (Don't ask about the bread, okay?) So we devised this recipe through 6 months of trial and error. You can sterilize the jars if you are paranoid, but we don't bother anymore. These pickles must be kept refrigerated, however.
- 2 kg small cucumbers
- 3 cups vinegar
- 6 cups water
- 3⁄8 cup salt
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- Wash cucumbers, rinse and leave soaking in very cold water.
- Sterilize 3 jars and rings by boiling for 10 minutes. (optional).
- Add 1/3 of dill stems, halved garlic, peppercorns, red pepper, and bay leaves to each jar. Pack pickles into jar until full.
- Combine vinegar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Pour brine into the jars until 1/8 inch from top. Seal the jars.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 day, then check jars for complete sealing. Refrigerate jars for 9 more days, or 10 days total. Keep refrigerated.