Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Dad was a terrific cook, down-home done gone gourmet kinda cook. He was in the country club restaurant bidness in Texas and Arkansas and loved his work.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 small onion, pealed and cut in half
- 1 carrot, scraped and cut into chuncks
- 0.5 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4-1 cup buttermilk
- Cover with water and boil until tender.
- Remove and debone chicken.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Degrease broth.
- For the dumplings:.
- Cut the shortening into the flour with a fork until it looks like coarse cornmeal.
- Add egg and enough milk to make a ball that's a little sticky.
- Knead a few times and and roll out about 1/8 inch thick (12 inch by 14 inch rectangle)
- Cut into narrow strips (1 to 1 1/2 inch wide).
- To proceed:.
- Boil broth.
- Add 1/2 can of cream of chicken soup.
- drop dumplings into boiling broth.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Simmer until dumplings are tender.
- Adjust seasonings and add milk to taste.
- Thicken with roux if necessary.