Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was a specialty of my Grandfather's. I've loved them my whole life, and now my husband and son love them, too. For extra kick, use Pepper Jack instead of plain Monterey Jack cheese. Prep and cooking times are estimates, since I don't time myself and cooking time depends on desired doneness. Time doesn't include heating grill.
- If necessary, start coals heating (if using), start grill, or preheat broiler.
- Spritz bread slices with olive oil on each side.
- Shape beef into oblong patties to fit the bread slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill or broil patties until cooked to taste, about 12-15 minutes for medium well (depending on heat source).
- Meanwhile, broil or toast bread slices, turning once, until golden on both sides.
- Top patties with cheese slices and grill or broil a few seconds longer, until cheese barely starts to melt.
- Place patties on toasted bread, top with chili strips, and serve.
This is great with the green chilies and the monterey jack. I use a lot of green diced chilies and pepper jack cheese especially on tator tots with eggs. I added a little minced garlic on the french bread before broiling. I tweek too, that is the fun in cooking--creating!I will make again and probably add A-1 sauce a little to the burger before grilling. You have a good recipe!