Recipe by AmyZoe
This is yummy inside of a flour tortilla and has all my favorites--beans, sausage, rice, and corn. The only ingredient I didn't have on hand that I won't leave out next time is the toasted pumpkin seeds (darn those homemade pumpkin seeds for getting eaten so quickly). I used chicken stock and threw my lime juice in at the beginning because I love the lime flavor. I also threw in the fresh cilantro toward the end of cooking time instead of to garnish. I added some cayenne pepper because I prefer more heat. Nice and hearty...and super simple.
Top Review by Maeve R
Great recipe! I just made it tonight. As every other cook does, I made some changes to suit my tastes. Instead of plain sausage I used beef chorizo. I bought green chile powder (yes, Virginia, there is such a thing) in Hatch NM last fall, so I threw that in, instead of cayenne and chiles. I used Pintos instead of Black beans, because i don't like black beans, (I think it's the color.) It was exceptionally tasty and now I have lunch and supper for a couple of days. Thanks AmyZoe for posting this.
- 16 ounces Jimmy Dean sausage (regular flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 10 ounces frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies, with liquid
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut in eighths
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 or 4 quart saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until meat is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- Add rice, corn, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes and green chilies, water or stock, and salt. Stir once to mix.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes without stirring.
- Gently stir in black beans.
- Add green onions and garnish with pumpkin seeds, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and lime.