This is yummy inside of a flour tortilla and has all my favorites--beans, sausage, rice, and corn. The only ingredient I didn't have on hand that I won't leave out next time is the toasted pumpkin seeds (darn those homemade pumpkin seeds for getting eaten so quickly). I used chicken stock and threw my lime juice in at the beginning because I love the lime flavor. I also threw in the fresh cilantro toward the end of cooking time instead of to garnish. I added some cayenne pepper because I prefer more heat. Nice and hearty...and super simple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces Jimmy Dean sausage (regular flavor)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 10 ounces frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies, with liquid
- 1 1/2 cups water or 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut in eighths
- 1In a 3 or 4 quart saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until meat is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- 2Add rice, corn, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes and green chilies, water or stock, and salt. Stir once to mix.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes without stirring.
- 5Gently stir in black beans.
- 6Add green onions and garnish with pumpkin seeds, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and lime.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jimmy Dean Mexican Rice With Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.1
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 32.2 mg
- Sodium 544.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 14.3 g