Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great for brunch and special occasions. This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking. Try omitting the mushrooms and tomatoes and adding fresh spinach and canned artichokes and 1/2 cup Swiss cheese for a different flavor.
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage (regular)
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thin-sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until throughly cooked and no longer pink.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.
- Distribute half of the bread evenly in a buttered 9 by 13x2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of the optional ingredients.
- Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole; Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes, or until eggs are set; tent with release foil if top begins to brown to quickly.
Great breakfast choice during busy holiday's or for sleepovers. Since I can get the kids to eat it, I don't typically add any of the vegetables. I'm sure they'd be good with it as well. Even made it over vacation with another family, It was my day to make breakfast, it fed all 10 of us. Yum!
Very Good!! I have made one similar in the past but this one was better. Thanks for the post!