1/1 Photo of Jim’s Big Batch Slow Cooker Chili
8 hrs 40 mins
In researching many recipes to achieve the perfect, awesome chili that I could make in a large batch by using my 6 qt crock pot (slow cooker), I came across 3 different ones that I deconstructed and then reconstructed using my own variations and twists. I had a wonderful success on my first try. I served this during the holidays in 2012 to a large group and many came back for 3RDs! Chili is normally regionalized, but this one is so GOOD, that any part of the country will love it and gobble it up! For Nutritional Data purposes, I calculated a recommended serving size to be approximately 13 oz. per serving to feed 10 people. Realistically if you have several hungry guys with large appetites hanging out, watching football, playing cards, etc. this may only yield enough to serve 8 people 16 oz.
My Private Note
4 qt ba ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs 80% lean ground beef (or three pounds ground chuck same %)
- 1 lb ground sausage (Jimmy Dean or other brand HOT)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (I normally use an 8 oz white onion)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix (McCormick Chili Seasoning Mix for Slow Cookers)
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce (Hunt's, or you may use 2 15 oz. cans as the extra ounce shouldn't make much of a difference)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (Hunt's, trick open both ends of can and shake out)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans light red kidney beans (Bush's Best Light Red, RINSE and DRAIN in cold water before using)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or measure 28 oz. from a box)
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (or use McCormick ground ancho chili powder instead to add some heat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or substitute same amount of common iodized table salt)
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1Optional Adds: 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped OR 2 Jalapeno Peppers seeded and chopped for extra added heat. Personally, I do not use either of these, but you may. You may also use 2 (14.5 oz. cans) of Hunt's Diced Tomatoes, undrained, if you like a chunkier chili. Personally, I do not use these either.
- 2Cook the meats in at least 2 separate batches in a Large Skillet over Med-High heat right before it crumbles. Add and mix in the finely chopped onions. When the meat crumbles and no longer is pink; drain.
- 3Place the meat and onion mixture in the large crock pot (slow cooker). Add the rinsed/drained light red kidney beans and the remaining ingredients.
- 4Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, may stir a couple times. Since this is a Slow Cooker, it is always discouraged to use the HIGH setting… but if you must and running short on time, can be done roughly around 5 hours on HIGH.
- 5Remove and Discard the Bay Leaves before serving.
- 6Condiments and/or Sides to consider having on hand when serving: Sour Cream, Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Rice, Chopped Green Onions, Black Sliced Olives, Crackers, Limes (cut in quarters), Jalapeno Slices, Baguette Bread Sliced, Cornbread (or Jalapeno Cornbread), Salad.
- 7Beverage Pairing: Milk, Ripe Zinfandel, or Syrah.
- 8ENJOY! For whatever reason, a well-made Chili is much like Jambalaya. The leftovers, the day after, is generally better. . Maybe it takes a day for the flavors to truly fuse together.
- 9Directions for freezing and/or reheating portions:.
- 10Let Chili cool before freezing.
- 11Evenly divide chili into 2 (1-gallon) zip-top freezer bags (only 1 1-gallon bag needed if you are looking to freeze only half).
- 12Seal and lay each bag flat.
- 13Stack bags of chili in freezer.
- 14Freeze up to 1 month.
- 15Thaw 1 bag of frozen chili overnight in refrigerator (or defrost in microwave).
- 16Pour thawed chili into a 9-inch square baking dish.
- 17Cover tightly with heavy-duty plastic wrap, and fold back a corner to allow steam to escape.
- 18Microwave at HIGH 6-7 minutes or until bubbly (stirring once after 3 1/2 min mark).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jim’s Big Batch Slow Cooker Chili
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.5
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 129.3 mg
- Sodium 1590.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 42.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili seasoning mix