Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My DH's first wife's family made this and he has always loved it. Imagine me calling his ex's DH for the recipe so that I could make it at home, lol!! I keep it in the fridge and it is always a hit with any one that tries it. We motorhome and I make a large jar of this before we hit the road, besides serving it as a quick appetizer my DH will eat it for lunch. Many a trip I have dragged this out of the fridge and served it as a snack to our camping group! **Please note these are the rings of bologna that you find near the packaged lunch meats in the grocery store, about 2 inches in diameter. I'm not sure of the weight of the rings exactly, I think one pound is fairly accurate.
- 2 (1 lb) packages bologna, one pound rings, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart white vinegar
- Skin the bologna if necessary and slice in 1/2 inch slices.
- Pack into a wide-mouthed glass jar, (I use a half gallon glass container) add the pepper flakes and COVER all with the vinegar. You might need more depending on how much you fix.
- Seal the jar and allow to sit on the counter overnight or for up to two days, then refrigerate.
- You can add as many pepper flakes as you like, the bologna will pickle and get hotter as it sits on the counter.
- Once refrigerated, the pickling process stops. I find that overnight and one tablespoon of flakes makes this just right!
I made these with my DH in mind. I didn't have ring balogna but I did have 2 lbs of garlic sausage. Made as directed. And I agree...just let sit on counter overnight, then refrigerate. Perfect heat...with it blowing your head off. Will be making this alot over the long winter months here. Thank you for sharing!