Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from the Jim Dandy Quick Grits bag. I make it Christmas morning every year and we all love it. It can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, just bake a little longer.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Heat oven to 350. Grease a 2 quart glass baking dish. In large saucepan, combine water and salt. Bring to a boil. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2.Brown sausage.
- 3. Remove grits from heat. Add butter and 1 cup of cheese, stir until melted. Add sausage, eggs, and pepper; mix well. Pour mixture into greased baking dish. Sprinkle remainder of cheese on top.
- 4. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
SKIP THE BUTTER!!!
This is a great recipe (as long as you don't look too closely at the Nutrition Facts) but it will be very oily if you add the recommended butter.
I make it sans butter now and it turns out much better.
I also reduce the recommended amount of water by a cup or so. This helps allow the grits to absorb some of the oil from the sausage nad cheese, resulting in a much more palatable final product
This didn't really turn out for me. It was pretty runny, and the sausage flavor overwhelmed everything.
This is pretty good. It does reheat well. A 2 quart casserole is not quite big enough.