Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Gooseberry Patch Old-Fashioned Country Cookies.
Top Review by mamamain
I love these cookies. I first made them in the late 50's or very early 60's. They were in the Pillsbury Best of the Bake-Off Cookbook. It's nice having it on this site, it makes it easy to have it at hand when traveling -- I'm now a "Snow-Bird". Thanks for posting it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup diced maraschino cherry
- 30 regular-sized marshmallows, cut in half
- walnut pieces
Glossy Chocolate Frosting
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot milk (about)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter; add in sugar gradually.
- Beat in egg.
- Mix in cooled chocolate, milk, cherry juice, sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt), chopped walnuts, and cherries.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoonsful onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 12 minutes.
- Place marshmallows, cut side down, on hot cookies.
- Cool; frost with Glossy Chocolate Frosting; top with walnut pieces.
- To make Glossy Chocolate Frosting: Melt butter and chocolate together; mix in sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make frosting of spreading consistency.