Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Rich and delicious, I got this from a cookbook of blue-ribbon winning recipes.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons milk
- Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a whisk to blend.
- Add the eggs, milk, molasses, oil, and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the water and stir it into the batter by hand.
- Pour the batter, which will be very thin, into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter, peanut butter, and cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Slowly add the confectioners' sugar, beating to form a smooth frosting.
- Add the milk 1 tsp at a time until the frosting reaches the desired spreading consistency.
- Frost the cake and let it sit for 30 minutes before cutting.
I have been searching for the "perfect" chocolate molasses cake and this one comes pretty darned close. So moist and delicious with rich chocolately color and a pronounced molasses flavor. The peanut butter frosting is interesting and different but good!