Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think this spaghetti sauce is restaurant quality. I hope you do too!
Make and share this Jill's Spaghetti Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or 1 tsp granules)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup red wine (a good cabernet?)
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage and ground beef, breaking up as you stir.
- Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- Add basil, parsley, oregano, fennel, Italian seasoning, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, baking soda and black pepper. (The baking soda will foam up and then subside, neutralizing some of the acid of the tomatoes and making a mellower flavor).
- Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- Stir in red wine.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for about 1/2 an hour.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.