Chef #429816's Note:
I think this spaghetti sauce is restaurant quality. I hope you do too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or 1 tsp granules)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup red wine (a good cabernet?)
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- 1In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage and ground beef, breaking up as you stir.
- 2Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- 3Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- 4Add basil, parsley, oregano, fennel, Italian seasoning, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, baking soda and black pepper. (The baking soda will foam up and then subside, neutralizing some of the acid of the tomatoes and making a mellower flavor).
- 5Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- 6Stir in red wine.
- 7Simmer on low, stirring frequently for about 1/2 an hour.
- 8Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jill's Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 632.2
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 69.2 mg
- Sodium 2542.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 37.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: