Traditional Newfoundland Sunday Dinner. The tradition of Jigg's Dinner dates back to when the explorers first discovered the new founde land. There are many theories on how this tradition got its name. Some say it is based on a comic strip character named jiggs - a man who loved his corned beef and cabbage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 piece salt beef (You can buy salt beef in tubs or smaller individual pieces in vacuum-sealed packages)
- 1/2 head cabbage, quartered
- 1 medium turnip
- 10 carrots, chopped in chunks
- 10 potatoes, cut into quarters or halves depending on size
- 1 bag yellow split peas
- 1Equipment 1 large stock pot 2 pudding bags (The amounts listed above below are based on serving 5 people.) When planning to make Jigg's Dinner, the salt beef and the split peas should be soaked overnight to remove the excess salt.
- 2The next day, dump out the water in which the salt beef was soaking.
- 3Place the beef in the stock pot and put enough water in just to cover the beef.
- 4After an hour of soaking, test the water.
- 5If it is extremely salty, dump out that water and soak the beef for another hour.
- 6If the water is fine, fill up the pot with water and set it to boil!
- 7The split peas that have been soaking overnight, must be drained.
- 8Then, place the peas in the pudding bag (again make sure to wet it), tie it properly and drop in the boiling water.
- 9Both of the puddings should take close to two hours.
- 10Now comes the count down for the vegetables.
- 11The following is a guideline of cooking times for each of the vegetables: Cabbage 40 minutes (1 hour and 20 minutes into the boil).
- 12Turnips& Carrots 30 minutes (1 ½ hours).
- 13Potatoes 20 minutes (1 hour and 40 minutes).
- 14At the 2 hour mark everything should be cooked and it's just a matter of scooping and sorting the vegetables.
- 15Slice the Dark Molasses Pudding.
- 16Mash the pease pudding.
- 17Then it's time to eat.
- 18HINT: serve with roast of chicken, turkey or beef.
- 19Pickled beats, stuffing& gravy along with home made buns or bread Whatta Scoff!
- 20Left over veggies fry up great next day as hash.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jigg's Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 142.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
yellow split peas