Recipe by Bergy
These are also known as "King Alfred Cakes" not as in "to eat". Nice touch and very easy to make. Keep children away from the chemicals they can be harmful
- 2 lbs coarse salt
- 2 lbs bluestone
- paraffin wax (to cover paper cups)
- 1 lb borax (Orange Blue & Green Flames)
OR a combination of the following
- 1 ounce strontium nitrate (red flame)
- 1 ounce bismuth nitrate (crimson flame)
- 1 ounce antimony chloride (blue flame)
- 1 ounce barium chloride (green flame)
- 1 ounce potassium chloride (purple flame)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients in a cardboard box with a wooden spoon.
- Put into paper cups then cover with melted paraffin.
- Throw on the fireplace embers for colored flames.
- Bluestone is available at paint stores.
- Borax& salt from the grocery store.
- Chemicals from the drug store.