Top Review by AlienCat
I finally found the perfect pie crust after trying so many. Just the right amount of moistness and flakiness and the taste is wonderful. I havenâ€™t found a filling that did not like this crust. An apple pie made with this crust is to die for
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl,combine flour and salt.With pastry blender or two knives,cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.In small bowl,beat egg yolk with 3 tablespoons ice water;sprinkle mixture,1 tablespoon at a time,over flour mixture;toss with fork to blend lightly but evenly.Add up to 1 tablespoon water,if necessary,until dough begins to form a ball.Knead dough gently 2 or 3 times;flatten into disk shape.
- TO MAKE SINGLE CRUST:On lightly floured surface,roll out half dough to 11 to 12" circle(see note);fit into 9" pie plate;trim, leaving 1" overhang.Dampen underside of hangover with water; turn under;flute edges or make decorative edging as described below.Place in freezer 10 minutes.Note:Depending on depth of edge or type of edging used for crust,you may need up to full recipe dough.Any unused dough can be frozen,tightly wrapped, for up to 2 months.
- TO MAKE DOUBLE CRUST:Roll out dough as for single crust pie; fit into pie plate;trim.Roll out remaining dough to 11 to 12" circle;fit over top of pie;trim,leaving 1" overhang.Dampen edges of pastry with water;press together or turn under; flute edge .Cut vents for steam in center of top crust.
- PREBAKED PIE SHELL:Prepare jiffy Butter crust,recipe above, or one 10 or 11 ounce package piecrust mix according to package directions.Roll out half dough;fit into 9" pie plate; prepare single crust as directed.After fluting,place in freezer 10 minutes.Heat oven to 425 degrees.Line crust with foil;fill foil with dried beans or rice.Bake 6 minutes.Remove foil and beans;bake 8 to 10 minutes longer until pie shell is lightly browned.Cool completely on wire rack before filling.Makes one 9" pie shell.
- ROPE EDGE Fit and shape pastry crust as in Jiffy Butter Crust recipe; trim to leave 1 1/2" overhang.Dampen overhang with water; roll under to make high standing edge.Press right thumb into pastry edge at an angle;press and squeeze pastry between thumb and knuckle of forefinger.Repeat,keeping same angle to make ropelike edging.
- LEAF EDGE Fit and shape pastry crust as in Jiffy Butter Crust recipe, turning edge under.Press flat to rim of pie plate.With sharp paring knife,cut out 1" oval-shaped leaves from leftover pastry scraps.Lightly mark veins on leaves.Dampen rim of pastry crust with water;place leaves in slightly overlapping pattern around edge;press gently but firmly to adhere.
- SCALLOPED EDGE Fit and shape crust as in Jiffy Butter Crust recipe,turning edge under.Place forefinger of left hand inside crust edge.
- Using thumb and forefinger of right hand,pinch around left forefinger to make wide scallops.Repeat around border,making sure scallops are same size.
- BRAIDED EDGE Fit and shape pastry crust as in Jiffy Butter Crust recipe, turning edge under.Press edge flat to rim of pie plate.Roll leftover pastry into long thin rectangle;cut into long strips,1/4"wide.Weave strips into one long continuous braid to fit around rim of piecrust.Brush rim with water;set braid in place;press gently to adhere SUNBURST EDGE Fit and shape pastry crust as in Jiffy Butter Crust;trim edge exactly to fit pie plate rim.Cut pastry edge at 1/4" intervals, making each cut 3/4" long.Dampen cut edge with water;fold over each pastry section into triangle,pressing to seal.