Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Jicama is a round root vegetable with brown skin that has a crisp, slightly sweet taste. Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine!
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml hot pepper sauce
- 4 oranges
- 1 large jicama, peeled and julienned (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, sliced into rounds (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped
- 1-1 fresh jalapeno chile, finely chopped (use half red and half green)
- Whisk lime juice, oil, sugar, salt and hot pepper sauce together in a large bowl.
- Trim peel and pith from oranges. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice into thin half moons.
- Add orange slices and remaining ingredients to dressing. Toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, and chill 1 hour or overnight. Serve on a bed of lettuce, garnished with additional orange slices.
Muchas Gracia, Sharon. Light and spicy, perfect for summer lunch. We love jicama, I just hate peeling the things. Made for the Epicurean Queen Team, ZWT5.
This was a very fresh and delicious salad. I've had Jicama before, one of our restaurants here in town uses it in fresh veggie dishes, so I knew what to expect from that as far as texture and flavor. But the flavor of THIS salad took me by surprise. We just loved the sweetness of the oranges and cucumbers with the bite from the pepper sauce and jalapenos (fresh from our garden), and the lime added just the right hint of tanginess. A HUGE hit with DH, who always welcomes new salads at the table. Thanks Sharon123, for a new keeper. Made for ZWT5, Bodacious Brickhouse Babes.
Refreshing, crispy, healthful, and unique are only four of many adjectives I could use to describe this great salad. We loved it! I misread the recipe and ended up short of oranges, but didn't really miss them. My DD dislikes spicy foods, so I down played the jalapenos and kept the hot sauce on the table. I'll be putting this in my favorite salads folder, Sharon. I'm so glad you posted this!