Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This salad is excellent with any meal. It is crisp and refreshing. I like it because you can prepare it well in advance of the meal.
- 1 jicama (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 small cucumber, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, slivered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili
- 3 tablespoons lite olive oil
- green leaf lettuce (enough to dress the edges of the bowl)
- Pare the Jicama; cut lengthwise into 8 wedges; cut wedges crosswise into 1/8" slices.
- Cut cucumber lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut halves crosswise into 1/8"slices.
- Combine Jicama, Cucumber And Onion in a large bowl.
- Toss lightly.
- Mix lime juice, lime rind,garlic, salt, and chili in a small bowl.
- Gradually add oil continuously whisking until thoroughly blended.
- Pour dressing over Jicama mixture, toss lightly to evenly coat the salad.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours , covered, to blend the flavors.
- Just before serving line a shallow salad bowl with the lettuce leaves and spoon salad on top.
We really liked this salad. Nice to have something different. I made this in the morning and it was still crisp and very delicious when the meal was ready that evening. The lime flavor was perfect on this, and the jicama and cucumber was a great combination. Thanks Bergy!!
Yes, definitely too much jicama. I thought mine was small enough that I could use just one, but nope. I added an avocado, chopped into the salad also, which I enjoyed.
Made this last night to go with chicken enchiladas...Wow what a hit! We all loved this and finished it up as a snack after dinner. I did use half a jicama as suggested and two small cucumbers and a 1/2 cup of onion. Will be making this again. Thank you!