Recipe by Lais in Minneapolis, Minnesota
I created this recipe to try and duplicate a salad I had at Dayton's River Room over 15 years ago. It has changed a bit over the years but is always a hit at my house.
- 1 large jicama (enough to make four cups of julienne sticks)
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanut, lightly crushed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 bunch fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and julienne the jicama (don't grate it or it will be a soggy mess).
- Put the peanuts in a zip bag and smash them with a can or mallet a couple of times.
- Boil sugar and vinegar until sugar dissolves and let cool a bit and add crushed red pepper flakes.
- Chop cilantro.
- Mix jicama, 1 - 1 1/2 bunch cilantro and red peppers and toss with sugar/vinegar mixture.
- Take remaining cilantro and sprinkle over salad, top with peanuts.