Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Refreshing, and exotic and spicy, everything a boring everyday salad could ask for!
Make and share this Jicama-Orange Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb romaine lettuce (about one medium head)
- 4 oranges
- 8 ounces jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 8 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄2 ounce cilantro leaf (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 canned chipotle chiles, diced fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 fresh orange, juice of
- 1 fresh lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Arrange individual leaves of romaine on salad plates as bed for salad.
- Remove rind and pith from oranges, and slice across to expose the sections; about 1/4" each slice.
- Remove seeds as necessary.
- Spread oranges over lettuce in a fan pattern, sprinkling with jicama, olives, and cilantro leaves (flat leaf parsley may be used if you prefer).
- For the vinaigrette dressing, make a paste out of the chilies, salt, pepper, and garlic, by placing in a bowl and pressing with a flat mallet or other suitable utensil.
- Add fruit juices and olive oil, whisking together well.
- Pour over salad and serve.
I had to tone down the heat in this dressing a bit by adding juice of 3 oranges and 3 limes but it was a low fat alternative to regular dressing with a whole lot of punch. And I am no stranger to hot and spicy things. This is great! I am still enjoying the dressing on different salads!