Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a variation of a salad I found in the local newspaper a while back!
- 1 medium jicama, peeled
- 2 navel oranges
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup dark raisin (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In large bowl, cut jicama into bite-size pieces.
- Zest the orange, adding it to jicama.
- Peel orange, then section it & cut into bite-sized pieces, holding sections over bowl so juice will combine with jicama.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Add chili powder, peanuts & red pepper flakes.
- Mix well, then chill before serving over lettice.
Thank you Sydney Mike for another great dinner! We made this exactly as written with 2 exceptions: cashews for the peanuts and golden raisins instead of dark (and a wee bit more than 1/8 cup ;D ). Jicamas are hard to get where I live; it is a 50 mile drive south or a 75 mile drive east, so we might not have this as often as we would like. But I've practically got my car keys in hand now! Thank you again!
We enjoyed this different and easy to make salad. I forgot the lettuce and red pepper flakes but otherwise made as directed with both the peanuts and the raisins. Very good! Thanks for sharing!
I really liked this combination of fruits & things. I used cashews (lots of cashews!) instead of peanuts because that's what I had on hand. I really liked the raisins and the crunchiness of the jicama. My oranges weren't very juicy, so I added the juice of another one. The spices didn't really suit me, but that's probably personal preference. Reveriewed for the Veg*n Recipe Swap.