Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Sunset Magazine.
- 1 jicama (1 lb. or a 1-lb. piece)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 red grapefruits (1 1/4 lb. each)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red radish
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (1/2 lb.)
- Rinse jicama. Cut off and discard skin and any tough fibers. Cut jicama into matchstick-size sticks 2 to 3 inches long.
- Rinse onion slices with cool water and drain.
- With a knife, cut off and discard grapefruit peel and membrane. Over a wide serving bowl, cut between inner grapefruit membranes and lift out fruit segments.
- Put fruit in bowl. Squeeze remaining membrane over bowl to collect juice.
- Drain grapefruit segments; save 1/2 cup juice and keep the rest to drink.
- Combine the 1/2 cup juice with vinegar, basil, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; return to grapefruit. Add jicama, radishes, and onion and mix.
- Peel, pit, and thinly slice avocado onto jicama salad. Gently mix and add salt and pepper to taste.