Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this out of a magazine years ago, and have been making it all around the year. I love introducing jicama to friends and family. I have made this numerous times, have taken to many a BBQ and pot lucks. It's sometimes a little hard to get people to take the first bite , but after that they're sold!Jicama tastes like a sweet version of a potato Ya don't know what you're mising!! Chill time is cook time. I sometimes will cut either red or green bell peppers, sliced into very thin slices and add to the mixture.
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (your choice)
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 lb jicama, peeled and cut into thin, matchlike strips about 2-inches long (4 cups)
- 1 cup red cabbage (can use both) or 1 cup green cabbage, shredded (can use both)
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- In a screw-top jar combine vinegar, salad oil, honey, salt,pepper, and hot pepper sauce,(if desired).Cover; shake well.
- In a large bowl combine the jicama, cabbage, carrots, and green onions.
- Pour vinegar mixture over jicama mixture. Toss lightly to coat. Chill 2 to 24 hours.
Great salad with Mexican fish. I used coleslaw mix and was very quick to make. I did let it sit for about 4 hours and the flavor was great. Still have lots leftover.
I love jicama & it's a shame that so many shoppers will pass it by without a 2nd thought, unaware of just how great a viggie it is! We really enjoyed it in this recipe as it combined well with the other veggies in this slaw! The only change I made in the ingredients was to use just a hint of the hot pepper sauce! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices tag]