Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very refreshing salad with a tang. Great served with BBQ Chicken.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and separated
- 1 lb jicama, peeled and sliced in 1/8 inch lengthwise slices
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced (don't do this until just before serving)
- 12 black olives
- 1 lime, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oranges or 1 tablespoon lime marmalade
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (peri-peri is good)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (virgin or lite)
- Dressing: Mix all the dressing ingredients except oil.
- Slowly pour in the oil whisking constantly until the ingredients are incorporated Line 6 plates with the lettuce.
- Arrange the jicama and tomatoes on the lettuce (you can do up to this step 2 hours in advance and refrigerate). Just before serving prepare the avocados.
- Divide avocado & olives among the 6 plates.
- Top with chopped lime.
- Stir the dressing and pour over the salads.
I followed the recipe but found that it had too much of a bitter taste for my liking.
This is a very elegant salad. I did not have orange or lime marmalade. I used of all things jalapeno jelly and omited the hot pepper sauce. Everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe.