Recipe by English_Rose
Aromatic spices, garlic and ginger combine to flavourful effect in this simple seafood rice dish.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic, shredded
- 300 g raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 600 ml hot water
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the sunflower oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the cumin seeds.
- When they change colour, add the onions, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the prawns and fry until they turn opaque, around 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and fry until it is shiny.
- Mix in the turmeric, chilli, coriander, salt to taste and the tomato ketchup.
- Pour in the hot water, cover the pan partially and cook until the rice is dry and fluffy, around 20 minutes.
- Loosen the rice gently with a fork, sprinkle with the coriander and serve.