Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Aromatic spices, garlic and ginger combine to flavourful effect in this simple seafood rice dish.
Make and share this Jhinge Ka Pulao (Rice With Prawns) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic, shredded
- 300 g raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 600 ml hot water
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the sunflower oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the cumin seeds.
- When they change colour, add the onions, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the prawns and fry until they turn opaque, around 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and fry until it is shiny.
- Mix in the turmeric, chilli, coriander, salt to taste and the tomato ketchup.
- Pour in the hot water, cover the pan partially and cook until the rice is dry and fluffy, around 20 minutes.
- Loosen the rice gently with a fork, sprinkle with the coriander and serve.