' =^..^= 'Ameera' =^..^= ''s Note:
This is an easy and delicious Pakistani/Indian recipe that is wonderful with any kind of Pakistani/Indian or Middle Eastern bread (chapati, naan, roti, pita, and if you just can't find/make any, then even soft tortillas) or basmati rice. "Jhal Frezi" means "dry fry" so there is not a lot of sauce when this is finished. You can find most spices in the spice section at your grocery store but you can get more for the same prices at an Indian/Middle Eastern market.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove (chopped or crushed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 -1 1/2 green chili, minced (only if you can handle it spicy) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (also called coriander or Chinese parsley) (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee
- 1Heat the oil in a medium or large skillet over med-high heat.
- 2Add the onions and sauté 2 minutes, add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
- 3add the chicken, ground turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- 4Fry for 5 minutes constantly stirring everything (if using a non-stick pan, scrape bottom as you stir).
- 5Add the can of tomatoes, bring to boil, cover and simmer on med-low to low heat for 10 minutes.
- 6Add ground cumin, curry powder, ground coriander ginger, and the optional green chilies, stir, cover again and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 7Remove cover, raise heat to to medium to evaporate some of the excess liquid, 7-8 minutes.
- 8Add the butter/ghee, and cilantro, simmer on low 5-7 minutes and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jhal Frezi Chicken--Easy and Delicious!
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.3
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 211.7 mg
- Sodium 1442.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 48.0 g