1 hr 20 mins
This is from a Korean-American mom's blog, Eating and Living, a great source of Korean recipes. Traditionally some grated Asian pear is used to flavor and tenderize the meat, but a tart apple can be used instead. I added a sliced red bell pepper, which the recipe did not call for, but which worked together well. The pork must be very thinly sliced and I buy pork/pork belly sliced for bulgogi at the Korean market. Pork loin should have some fat on it. I used less soy sauce, but found the amount of gochujang to my taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork shoulder or 2 lbs pork belly, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons gochujang Korean chili paste
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons grated Asian pears or 4 tablespoons grated apples
- 1Combine the meat, scallions, and onion in a medium bowl.
- 2Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl, mixing together well, and pour over the meat.
- 3Mix everything together well - I find this works best with your hands. Cover and let stand an hour. (If it will stand longer, place in the refrigerator).
- 4Grill or pan grill. If using a skillet, put a little neutral oil and sesame oil in the heated skillet. Do not crowd the meat, as it will then steam - cook in batches. Cook until the meat is a bit caramelized - perhaps 5 or 6 minutes.
- 5Serve with lettuce, rolling the cooked mixture into the leaves. I like Boston or another leafy lettuce for this, as it rolls easily, but romaine works, too.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jeyuk Bokkeum (Spicy Pork Bulgogi With Pears)
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 670.6
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 161.0 mg
- Sodium 153.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 39.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: