Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was given to my MIL by her Great Grandmother, who immigrated from Poland. I swear this soup has magical powers, as it has nursed my husband to health from countless colds, flus, and even a total hip replacement!! This also freezes very well, so make in advance of flu season!
- In large stew pot, add all soup ingredients.
- Cover with water, top pot with lid and simmer until chicken falls off bone.
- Remove celery and onion.
- Bone chicken and reserve.
- Add matzoh dough to simmering broth, cooking until done*.
- Add chicken to broth: serve hot.
- *MatzohBall directions: Mix fat and eggs together.
- Add matzoh meal and salt.
- When well blended, add soup stock/water.
- Cover bowl and place in refrigerator 20 minutes.
- Into simmering soup, drop matzoh mixture by tablespoons.
- They will form balls and float to the top.
- Cover pot and cook about 20 minutes.