3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe was given to my MIL by her Great Grandmother, who immigrated from Poland. I swear this soup has magical powers, as it has nursed my husband to health from countless colds, flus, and even a total hip replacement!! This also freezes very well, so make in advance of flu season!
My Private Note
pot of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large stew pot, add all soup ingredients.
- 2Cover with water, top pot with lid and simmer until chicken falls off bone.
- 3Remove celery and onion.
- 4Bone chicken and reserve.
- 5Add matzoh dough to simmering broth, cooking until done*.
- 6Add chicken to broth: serve hot.
- 7*MatzohBall directions: Mix fat and eggs together.
- 8Add matzoh meal and salt.
- 9When well blended, add soup stock/water.
- 10Cover bowl and place in refrigerator 20 minutes.
- 11Into simmering soup, drop matzoh mixture by tablespoons.
- 12They will form balls and float to the top.
- 13Cover pot and cook about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jewish Penicillin (Judy's Chicken with Matzoh)
Serving Size: 1 (1258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2935.4
- Calories from Fat 1942
- Total Fat 215.8 g
- Saturated Fat 61.2 g
- Cholesterol 1067.4 mg
- Sodium 2486.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 174.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: