5 hrs 15 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Eric Frankel's Note:
You want chicken soup? Buy a bird!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375º.
- 2Place a vertical roaster in an 8¼" x 8¼" x 2½" square glass baking dish.
- 3Clean the chicken "innards" and place in a 1-quart pot with 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tablespoon Teriyaki Sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground pepper. Cover and cook on lowest possible flame for 1 hour.
- 4Place chicken on vertical roaster.
- 5In the glass baking dish, pour 1 cup water and the remaining Worcestershire and Teriyaki.
- 6Cook until wings are VERY dark, but not burned (about 40 minutes); basting every 7 - 10 minutes.
- 7In an 8-quart pot, place remaining water, salt, pepper, celery, carrots, onion, garlic and shallot and set on high heat.
- 8When chicken is done, set aside to cool.
- 9When the innards are done, add the broth to the main pot. If you like innards, enjoy them; if not, discard them (or send them to me).
- 10When chicken is cool enough to work with, remove the skin and set aside.
- 11Remove all the meat from the bone, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 12Set the bones aside.
- 13Add chicken to the "broth", and reduce to medium-low heat.
- 14Wrap the skin and bones in cheesecloth, tying the cheesecloth as you would a tourniquet; basically bring all four corners together and tie.
- 15Place skin and bones in broth and simmer for 3 hours, keeping an eye on the level in the pot. Add water as needed.
- 16Remove skin and bone cheesecloth and discard (cheesecloth can be washed and reused if desired).
- 17If you want to use Homemade Chicken Broth in the future, save what you don't use, chill and skim. Alton Brown would be proud.
- 18This is not Campbell's soup, but then Mr. Campbell didn't grow up with a Jewish grandmother.
- 19I do hope you enjoy it. Please do me the honor of rating it.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jewish Penicillin (Aka: Chicken Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (836 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.8
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 1432.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 29.7 g