Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 mins
Cook 50 mins
braided bread Note: 1/8 tsp. saffron can be dissolved in water for flavor & color.
Make and share this Jewish - Old Family Secret Recipe - Challah recipe from Food.com.
- Combine yeast, sugar, 1/4 cup water & let stand 5 minutes.
- Sift flour & salt into bowl.
- Make a well in center and drop yeast mixture inches.
- Work it into the flour.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth & elastic.
- Place in bowl.
- Brush oil on top.
- Cover with towel & let rise 1 hour.
- Punch down, cover & let rise until it doubles.
- Divide into 3 parts.
- Cover hands with flour and braid.
- Cover & let rise in pan until double.
- Brush with egg yolk & sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake 375 degrees for 50 minutes.
This is the a very similar recipe that I have used many times...It is from the "Th Art of Jewish Cooking"by Jennie Grossinger of the famous Grossingers Hotel in the Catskills New York. I have made the dough in the bread machine with great results.