1/2 Photos of Jewish-Italian Chicken & Peas
From The Ultimate Book of Main Course Dishes by Jenni Fleetwood. I made some Jewish recipes for Hanukkah, and this turned out to be my favorite. The best thing about this dish is the creamy sauce.., which contains no milk or cream at all! Potato latkes taste incredible with this sauce, but you can also serve this dish with pasta, mashed potatoes, or even just a piece of crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breast halves
- flour, for dusting
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 lemons, juice of
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 5 tablespoons marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1Season the chicken with salt & pepper, then dust generously with flour. Set aside.
- 2In a bowl, whisk the lemon juice and egg yolks together. Set aside.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, fennel, parsley and fennel seeds. Cook for five minutes while stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the remaining oil and the chicken to the pan and cook for at least 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and onion mixture and set aside.
- 5Deglaze the pan by pouring in the Marsala wine and cooking over high heat until reduced to about 2 tablespoons (about 2 minutes), then pour in the stock. Add the peas, chicken, and onion mixture. Cook over a very low heat for 5 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through.
- 6Gradually add the lemon juice & egg yolk mixture to the pan while stirring constantly. Keep stirring over very low heat until the mixture thickens to a creamy consistency, about 1 minute. DO NOT ALLOW THE SAUCE TO BOIL. Serve the chicken immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jewish-Italian Chicken & Peas
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.5
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 130.3 mg
- Sodium 183.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 21.5 g