Recipe by Steve P.
Traditional honey cake, made for Rosh Hashanah to ensure a sweet New Year but also prepared by honey-cake lovers for special occasions.
Top Review by chia
this was wonderful! easy to throw together, it baked up perfectly. i added almonds to the bottom of the pan, and also topped it with extra almonds, this certainly helped us start the new year up right! thanks for posting this recipe, steve
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of grated
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup warm strong black coffee
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Place the eggs, lemon juice, lemon rind, oil, honey and coffee in a bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix on low speed until well blended.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cream of tartar, sugar and cinnamon with a fork until mixed.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the eggs mixture, mixing for about 5 minutes or until well blended.
- Fold in the slivered almonds.
- Pour the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.