Recipe by mkgodsey
My mom heard this recipe on a PBS cooking show years ago. It called for a regular pot roast, but we tried the corned beef instead and won't eat it any other way! I make for my husband now - it's a favorite!
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef or 3 -4 lbs regular pot roast
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup julienned carrot
- 1 large onion, sliced thin and separated
- 2 cups grape juice or 2 cups cranberry juice (as a red wine substitute-works very well)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Saute garlic in the olive oil until soft in a large, oven safe pan.
- Place corned beef on garlic, fat side down.
- Add celery, carrots and onion on top, and sprinkle with a thin layer of rosemary.
- After the fat side is browned, turn over and pour the grape juice and tomato puree over the corned beef, making sure everything is saturated.
- Heat 10 minutes.
- Cover and place in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- This makes it very tender!