Recipe by Chef Doozer
My mother makes this coffee cake for many special occasions. We all love the moist cake without any sugary glaze on it. It's plain and simple..and very "cinnamony"!
Top Review by Gigina
Very good coffee cake. The crunchy part on the top is a real highlight! It seemed to take forever to mix in all of the ingredients. My arm was exhausted, but I had a feeling that it would be worth it, and it was. The instructions for swirling the batter with up and down motions at the end seemed very odd and I could not imagine what it would do, but the end result was excellent -- in appearance and taste.
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and gradually add sugar.
- Add eggs individually and beat well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add vanilla and pour into greased tube or bundt pan.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar and pour on top of batter.
- Take a fork and swirl into batter with up and down motions.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- It freezes very well.