Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg white and salt. Whisk in matzo meal, oil and 3 Tbsp cold water.
- Cover and chill the mixture at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add parsnips, carrots and onions, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Gently roll the chilled matzo dough by level teaspoonfuls into balls, dropping them into the simmering broth as you work. Cook the matzo balls, covered, for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid; the broth must simmer rapidly to allow the matzo balls to expand properly.
- Uncover the pot, add broccoli and mushrooms and simmer until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with dill or parsley and serve.
This recipe was AMAZING, though I will omit broccoli in the future as I don't feel it's very traditional.
I'd never had matzo balls before, but bought a box of matzo meal and tried this out. Easy and tasty!
Great, easy recipe. I found it a little bland, and adding a bit of sea salt helped that. So I gave this 4 out of 5 stars ...not the full 5. As a newbie to Matzo balls, some guidance on what to expect the finished balls to be liked would be great. Mine were really good, but denser than I thought they would be.