Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- Cover apple slices with cinnamon.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and put aside.
- Combine all ingredients into a big bowl and beat thoroughly.
- Grease and lightly flour tube pan.
- Alternating batter on bottom of pan then apples, batter, apples-save some batter for top to cover apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Delicious....but! Completely fell apart out of the pan. What did I do wrong? I turned the tube pan upside-down right out of the oven...maybe should have let it cool 10 mins before doing so. Nevertheless, it was a delicious pile of cake.
Neve fails to please, I've made it for years and have never had leftovers, many years when I bring to services I don't even get a piece...
I really like this cake, it isn't overly sweet, and reminds me of sour cream coffee cake, but without the added fat from sour cream and butter. It doesn't say how much cinnamon to add to the apples, I added it to taste - thought it was a lot - but after tasting, it could have used even more cinnamon. I will try this using brown sugar in the apple mixture, to see if it changes the flavor.