Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons real vanilla
- 4 large eggs, unbeaten
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 large apples, peeled, and sliced
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sugar, separated (**keep from the other sugar**)
- Beat together until smooth--flour, 2 1/2 cups of sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, oil, eggs, and juice. Then in a separate bowl, mix apples, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Layer the batter and apples in a greased tube pan.
- **pour some batter--then layer it with apples--then switch back and forth until it is all used up**.
- Bake in oven at 350° for 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hours.
This is the same as a family recipe my Aunt often makes for brunches. My grandmother got it from the wife of the pastor of her church, Mrs. Kearse. It uses 1/4 c less sugar. I love this, it keeps for a few days and tastes so wonderful! You can even use 1:1 whole wheat and white flour with no real change in taste. NOTE: I just made this again and I wanted to add that I only baked this 1 hour and next time might do a little less.
I have been making this cake for many years. It is a favorite of anyone who eat's it.The cake is very easy to make. It has never failed me. This is a must try cake. Be sure to grease the tube pan well.
This is just like the apple cake recipe my grandmother gave me. She uses 2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup OJ. It is the best apple cake I have ever had!