Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a nice way to bring in the fall! Apples and cinnamon. Regular sugar can be used in place of vanilla sugar. Pears would work great oin this.
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups vanilla sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Slice apples thinly, mix with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Beat eggs until foamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, until mixture is thick and fluffy. Slowly pour oil into egg mixture, while beating continuously, mix until well blended. Add dry ingredients 1/3 at a time, alternating with orange juice, beating with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan.
- Drain the liquid from the apples and arrange half of the slices on top of the batter. Add another 1/3 of the batter, then the rest of.
- apples, and finally top with the remaining 1/3 of the batter.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. Cool thoroughly before removing from the pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
This was ok for us. Probably won't make it again. Thanks for posting.
Rita this is a delicious cake. I followed your directions though I don't have a tube pan so I used a nut-loaf pan and an ordinary 8" pan. I took a third of the batter and mixed in some of the apples and poured into the nut-loaf pan. For the plain pan I spread half of the remaining batter in , layered most of the apples on top, spread with the rest of the batter and then topped with the remaining apples. The nut-loaf tin was ready in 35 minutes and the other in 1 hour.....both turned out beautifully. Love the cardamom in the cake - it really complements the cinnamon and apple. This is a versatile cake - it could be morning/afternoon tea or it could be dessert. Delicious.